Friday 20 February 2009

Last night...

...I found myself on the horns of a dilemma. (A beast a little like a gnu).

I'd finished reading The Canon at lunchtime and really, really enjoyed it. This meant that I needed to pick myself a book to read in the very hot bath that I planned to take.

But what to read?

I looked through all 6 bookshelves (and all the piles on the floor) and managed to whittle myself down to a shortlist of 6 titles.

ToppitValleySecretsPinhoeEgg

LadiesDetectiveDeciderFrancisMarianneMagus

All of them, bar Mr Toppit, were just the right length for me to read in the bath. So therefore Mr Toppit got put aside for being too long. (It only made the shortlist cos it's my newest proof (although quite why we had the proof arrive in store at the same time as the book I do not know)).

Being aware that I'm on holiday in a week, I put aside The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency to take with me (and all the rest of the series too).

I put Marianne aside because she'll start me on a Sheri S. Tepper kick and I'm not quite in the mood for that at the moment.

Decider got kicked to the curb because I decided I wanted some fantasy rather than people blowing up racecourses.

That left a hard choice between The Valley of Secrets and The Pinhoe Egg.

Since by this time the bath had run I took them both in there and decided to read the first chapter of each and then choose.

By the time I remembered I was going to do this...I was already halfway through The Pinhoe Egg. I shall read Valley of Secrets tonight instead.

3 comments:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Oh how funny. I love the idea of soaking in the bath with a good book. Heaven.

Susan at Stony River said...

I love this post! I read in the tub too, because long hot soaks are the only thing that helps my back pain. The books offer an even better escape.

Will definitely look for the ones you've listed; all sound good. Hope you're enjoying the reading!

Laura Jane Williams said...

Decisions, decisions, eh? I've just had to do that too: 'Lolita' and 'The Memory Keepers Daughter'. I made the wrong choic thoughe, I think.... x